Rocky Times for the Rocky Mountains
I’m sure that you all, as we are, have been watching the news reports out of Colorado. Devastating fires have pushed tens of thousands of people from their homes. I traveled with some friends to visit the state for long pre-planned trip. Driving one evening from Denver to Boulder for dinner, we could see the smoke from the fires over the mountains.
One of our family members is a volunteer firefighter in Kentucky. Through him, we have grown to understand the importance of fire safety and the danger that firefighters endure whenever they go into a burning building. We admire the hardworking men and women who fight the forest fires in Colorado and around the world. They Ignite Good every day!
Sometimes, we all have the opportunity to Ignite Good in our own backyard. This weekend, when you enjoy some early fireworks for the Fourth of July, or stay hydrated to keep safe and healthy in the heat, please think of the people these fires have displaced not only in Colorado, but also in Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, South Dakota, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and Hawaii. And maybe you can do something to help.
Please consider giving to one of , which has been responding to the fires in Colorado. We know we will.
Also, share these fire safety tips with your family. And if you’re planning on using fireworks this Fourth of July, here are some additional tips about those from SheKnows:
- The best way to enjoy fireworks is to visit public fireworks displays hosted by professionals who know how to safely handle fireworks.
- If you plan to use fireworks, make sure they are legal in your area.
- Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
- Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby. Know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
- Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
- Stand several feet away from lit fireworks. If a device does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it. Put it out with water and dispose of it.
- Closely supervise children around fireworks at all times.