Are you missing the fun and active things you used to do out of your home, like sports, gymnastics, dance, or going to the pool? Then mix it up a little with the Sidewalk Chalk Adventure!
Sidewalk Chalk Adventure
|Physical, Games, Social-Emotional, Arts & Crafts, Service||K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th||Learn hopscotch and create your own sidewalk game for yourself and others to play!|
|Activity Prep||Materials||GGC Heart Badges|
|None.||Writing utensil, paper, Internet access, Sidewalk chalk||Health, General|
- EXPLAIN: COVID-19 means that we can’t do many of the fun moving things that we used to, like playing team sports, or gymnastics, or dance practice. But that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t get moving and encourage others to get moving, too!
- DISCUSS: What is your favorite way to get your body moving?
- EXPLAIN: Today, we’re going to use sidewalk chalk to get moving and encourage others to do the same.
- ASK: Do you know what hopscotch is?
- EXPLAIN: Hopscotch is a game you play by drawing squares on the ground in a pattern of one or two. You have to hop into the single squares on one foot, and the double squares with one foot in each.
- WATCH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZzswQaICfM
- INSTRUCT: Create your own hopscotch board on the sidewalk or driveway and play!
- EXPLAIN: We can use chalk to do other things, too!
- Think about all the fun active things you like to do.
- Create a list with words or pictures.
- Make your list into an adventure for yourself to complete by drawing different spots on the ground with chalk to do different things.
- INSTRUCT: For both your hopscotch and your adventure game, write down an invitation for others to participate when they walk by! You might also want to remind them to take turns and practice safe social distancing while they play.
- DISCUSS: Why is it important to stay active even when you’re stuck in your house and neighborhood?
Looking for more lessons? Keep visiting this site, check out our social media, and register for a free account on our Educator Portal for access to nearly 1,000 lessons that will help your child discover their inner superpower to make the world a better place!