Superhero Emotions Check-In
COVID-19 and its restrictions have adjusted what normal life looks like for yourself and families across the world. It’s normal to feel a range of emotions. Here are some we’ve seen or experienced ourselves:
- Anxiety over the spread of COVID, how we’ll adjust, and whether there will be supplies at the grocery store
- Frustration at not being able to go place we want, do things we want, or see our friends/family
- Sadness over the loss of life and lack of preparedness for this crisis
- Overwhelmed at all the things that have to get done in a day
- Relief at the opportunity to spend more time with loved ones due to working from home
- Reassured by the many capable individuals working to fight the epidemic
- Buoyed by friends, family, and people around the world doing what they can to IGNITE GOOD!® for others
- Determined to survive and thrive in the midst of new challenges
The important thing to remember is that our kids are probably feeling some combination of all of these emotions, too! And more! We all work through several emotions per day, and you can do the important job of teaching your kiddos to recognize and control their emotions with daily check-ins and strategies. Because if they can manage their emotions during this difficult time, they’ll be prepared for a lifetime.
A simple guide to an emotional check in:
- How are you feeling today?
- Use the GGC Superhero Emotion Chart, especially for younger kids who might recognize the faces if not the vocabulary.
- How can you express how you feel safely?
- How can we work to help you feel better/keep feeling great?
- Check in the chart for individual emotion pages to give some ideas/keep the conversation going.