The COVID-19 new normal may not yet feel very normal to you. You may be experiencing lots of ups and downs. That’s okay! Do this activity to help yourself know some positive ways to adapt to this change.
COVID-19 Adapting to Change
|Arts & Crafts, Language Arts, Social-Emotional
|2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th
|Think about adapting to change and draw an ocean representation.
|GGC Heart Badges
|Blank paper, Crayons/markers
- EXPLAIN: Because of COVID-19 the world has changed a lot! Now we don’t get to see our friends at school, and we now work on our schoolwork at home. But change can often be difficult to handle. We can Ignite Good!® by learning about how we help ourselves and others adapt to the changes that have happened.
- DISCUSS: How does change make you feel?
- READ: Quote- “Life is like an ocean it can be calm and still or rough and rigid. But in the end, it’s always beautiful” ~ Unknown
- EXPLAIN: Throughout life we will face changes and challenges, but all storms pass with time, but it’s what we do to get through the storm that matters.
- EXPLAIN: Change can often feel like being tossed around in rough ocean waves so we are going to make some boats that will help us
- EXPLAIN: Change can often feel like being tossed around in rough ocean waves so we are going to make some boats that will help us weather the currents.
- Draw waves at the bottom of your paper
- Under the wave write or draw some difficult changes you have had to face because of being at home.
- DISCUSS: What sorts of changes do you have to adjust to for School? in your Home?
- Example: It might be hard to work on a computer to get your schoolwork done.
- Draw A boat on top of the water
- Write on the boat or label the boat by writing or draw some ways of managing or coping with those changes. Imagine these are how we keep you afloat in your boat.
- What are some positive ways to handle change?
- What can you do to relax and have fun at home?
- What is good about change?
- Who can help you when change upsets you? Who can you talk to about change?
- Example: Making a pillow fort and watching a good movie.
- INSTRUCT: Draw a picture of you and your family safely floating in your boat.
- SEE: A completed example below.
- DISCUSS: How can overcoming change make us better superheroes and how can we help others do the same?